Self Drive Holidays in New Zealand – The Most Important Questions Answered

Here are some great questions and their answers that a lot of people have before they leave to New Zealand. Some of them might seem very obvious but it’s essential that you know all of the information before confirming your self drive trip to New Zealand.

What type of driving licence do I need to drive in New Zealand?

Visitors to New Zealand are legally allowed to drive in the country up to a maximum of 12 months, you will need a valid driving license from your country of residence os an International driving permit (IDP). Due to recent law changes, all drivers and visitors to the country must always have their driving license of permit on their person when driving. It should also be noted that you are only allowed to drive the same type of vehicles that you are licensed to drive back at home. Even though you might only need to be 17 years old to drive in the UK it is different in New Zealand, the legal driving age for rental vehicles is 21 years old. If your license is not printed in English then you will need to bring a certified translation of your license, or you can just bring your International Driving Permit. It is always a good idea to check that your license is valid before you travel and that you contact the relevant authorities if you have any questions.

Do I need a visa for my holiday in New Zealand?

Everyone that visits New Zealand needs to carry a valid passport, your passport must be valid for at least three months after your intended departure date from the country. Visas are very convenient in New Zealand, tourists from over 50 countries do not require a tourist visa if they intend to stay in the country for less that 3 months.

What about travel insurance?

Most rental companies will not offer travel insurance, they will of course be able to recommend some trusted insurance companies. It is always advisable to book travel insurance before you leave home, this way it makes it much easier for you to submit and go through the claim process – try to book your insurance at the same time you book your flight.

Are there any other costs I need to know about on my self drive tour?

Most self drive companies will include all government fees and taxes in the price. You should check if fuel is included. Your main costs will be excursions, food and drink and also charges for staying in camping parks.

Take a look at these two companies before booking your vehicle:

1) Caravan New Zealand Rental – Wilderness are a trusted rental company that offer a great service at a great price!

2) Auckland Airport Car Hire – Check out Snap Car Rental in Auckland if you’re looking for a reliable car rental company.